Saturday 4 February 2012

My Changed Opinion On My Kindle.

I have had my kindle since I turned 18, which was 9 months ago, and at first I loved it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great invention. Instant books that are cheaper than their paper counterpart which is perfect for me because I am a student and while I love to read I also need to be able to eat and pay for my accommodation.

However I have a few issues with it which are increasingly worrying me. Firstly, the fact that Amazon dominates the eBook market. I am not a fan of the idea of Amazon being able to monopolise anything because then they will have complete control over the market, which in the 21st century is something that should never happen and scare us into doing something about it if it comes close to happening. I do think that Amazon are going to end up needing to be taken down a peg or two because, while I love amazon, they are getting too big for their boots.

Another thing is the intangibleness of my kindle. I love being able to read what I want where I want, absorbing all the knowledge I possibly can instantaneously, however it’s just not the same. I love the feel of a book, the smell and the way it looks on my bookshelf. A kindle is perfect for instant knowledge but I am not savouring it or truly absorbing it in the way I do with a tangible paper and glue bound book. I find for some reason I connect far better with the story in a ‘real’ book than I do with an eBook. Perhaps that is because I can hold a real book in my hands and that makes the characters and their stories more real to me. I’m not sure, I know it makes no sense but I am also aware that many book readers have these same problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment